Skip to content

Firefly Educational Psychology has extensive experience working with different types of educational settings within both the independent and maintained sectors. These include:

  • Primary schools
  • Secondary schools
  • Resourced provisions within mainstream schools
  • Multi-Academy Trusts
  • Colleges
  • Early Years providers (private, maintained and child minders)
  • Specialist Provisions for young people with social, emotional and mental health needs
  • Specialist settings for young people with severe, profound, and multiple learning difficulties
  • Specialist Autism settings

What our clients say

You have been absolutely amazing and we couldn’t have asked for a better person to come along and really help us when we needed it most. You got us back on our feet and you have been invaluable to me,
thank you so much’

[L], SENCo, Manchester

Where do we sign to keep you? So useful and practical – best EP we have ever had

[A], SENCo, Salford

Lovely to work with an EP with practical strategies. That’s never happened before for me!

[H], Head Teacher, Stockport

I want you to know I’m finding the level of support unbelievable. You put so much time into preparing for the advice sessions, and I’m finding your support fantastic

[D], SENCo and teacher, Bury

The class teacher has been so positive since meeting with you Kait, things are really moving on!

[C], SENCo, Wigan

How we can help

We know that every setting is different, so we offer a flexible and responsive service that can meet a variety of needs. Our most popular core services include:

Individual casework

This is where we meet with you to get a picture of a young person’s current presentation, and support understanding and problem solving through a combination of assessment, consultation, and review.

Our extended schools offer includes:

EHCP follow-up support

Such as helping to implement EHCP recommendations, review progress and set new targets according to need

SENCo support

This might be around a particular subject, e.g. literacy difficulties, or be designed to support around strategic whole-school projects or EHCP planning/applications

Group work

Firefly can offer intervention and/or group work for young people, either as a follow-up to casework, or when a particular need has been identified

Staff coaching

Firefly can offer staff coaching either as follow-up support for individual casework, or when a particular need has been identified

Research projects

Firefly can help you set up, carry out, and review whole-school/group research projects

Whole-school training

We offer a variety of training packages on a diverse range of topics, such as Emotionally Based School Avoidance, Executive Functioning, Autism, ADHD and Attachment difficulties, and are always interested in delivering new or bespoke training to suit your school’s needs

Firefly Educational Psychology Service believes in the power of relationships and we like to build these with the schools we work with. As such, we encourage schools to sign up for service level agreements (SLAs), whenever these are suitable. Schools with a qualifying service level agreement are offered discounted rates and access to the extended schools offer, and can top up or alter their SLA over the year*.

We do, however, know it can be difficult to predict what your setting’s needs might be, and as such we offer core casework options for short-term EP involvement, without the commitment of an SLA.
*subject to EP availability

Who do we work with?

1. Mainstream schools

We work with most types of primary and secondary schools, including Local Authority maintained, academies and multi-academy trusts, Private, Free, Grammar, and Faith schools

2. Early Years settings

We work with most types of OFSTED-regulated early-age settings, including Local Authority maintained nurseries and nursery schools, childminders, day nurseries and private nursery schools

3. Specialist settings

We offer EP services in a range of specialist settings and alternative provisions, including resourced provisions, Pupil Referral Units, special schools and nurseries, and private providers

4. Post-16

We work with young people in a range of post-16 settings, including colleges, universities, sixth-forms and apprenticeship schemes


Do you work with other EPs or professionals as part of a team?

Firefly Educational Psychology service is chiefly manned by me, Kait, although I am part of a network of like-minded EPs who can and do work together, especially around training. Sometimes we help each other with SLAs if we don’t have capacity individually, or if we feel a particular young person would benefit from working with one of us with a certain specialism. This would always be discussed with you in advance of any work taking place. I feel strongly about the power of collaboration and always enjoy working with other professionals, so I’ll happily work alongside other professionals involved with the young person.  

What assessments can you/will you do?

A very good question! EPs are generally quite eclectic and I’m no exception. I offer a variety of standardised and non-standardised assessment tools and approaches, including cognitive assessment using WISC-V and Raven’s 2, more specific neurocognitive testing using the NEPSY-II, dynamic or play-based assessment, therapeutic assessment using the CRRES framework, attainment testing using the WIAT-III, DASH and PhAB, and social and emotional assessment tools including Resiliency Scales and DESSA. I also use a lot of projective and person-centred techniques, and observation. This is not an exhaustive list, and because no two young people are the same, no two assessments are the same – that’s what makes it a hard question to answer. I will, however, always shape an assessment to the needs of the young person and be responsive to what comes out of our session together. To decide which tools to bring, I will always discuss the young person with you before I begin. 

Do your reports count towards an EHCP?

The short answer is yes. A report from Firefly Educational Psychology will help to identify a young person’s needs, which is an essential part of a good EHCP application. It will also provide recommendations that the school can work on implementing and reviewing, which is another important part of the EHCP application process. If we know that a school wants to apply for an EHCP for a young person, we can offer a term of support for a young person that includes an initial consultation, direct involvement from an EP, a feedback and planning meeting, and a review. We find this gives schools the opportunity to trial suggestions within a supportive environment, evaluate their impact and plan for next steps. This package has the added benefit of being a complete cycle of plan-do-review, which is often important when submitting an EHCP application.

How is your work different to that of a local authority EP’s ?

Firefly’s work with schools is often pretty similar to the work of a local authority EP. We all have the same training and abide by the same code of ethics in our work. We both do work at the pre- and post-EHCP stages. Where we differ is around statutory work (by statutory work, I mean the report that is written to inform the local authority’s decision-making around EHCPs). Statutory work is commissioned by the local authority and generally carried out by the local authority’s designated Educational Psychology Service. This means that Firefly does not write the statutory Educational Psychology report for an EHCP, although our work can and does support the initial application and is often used to support the statutory work of the local authority EP. Ultimately though, the statutory report is the legal responsibility of the local authority’s designated Educational Psychology Service. We are, however, very friendly and will always share our thoughts and findings with the local authority EP if asked.

What is a qualifying SLA?

To provide a quality service to our schools, we need to plan, and SLAs help us plan our time more efficiently. An SLA is an agreement to work together over time, ideally over an academic year, although things don’t have to be spread evenly across terms. An SLA can be either very small or quite large, and can encompass several schools through a Multi-Academy Trust (MAT). A qualifying SLA is one where the full SLA amounts to £3,000 or more. This means we can bring our unit prices down by 20%, which we hope will make review sessions more accessible and our work more impactful. With a qualifying service level agreement, you gain access to our extended school offer and we will offer you an hour’s free planning meeting and notes for every £3,000 commissioned (so a £6,000 contract would lead to a free two-hour planning meeting in Term 1, or two one-hour planning meetings across the academic year). For MAT, an initial planning meeting with all SENCos will be included at no extra cost. Where individual schools within the MAT require work with more than one child, a separate planning meeting will be required. This will be charged for at £100 per one-hour meeting. Transparency of pricing is important. I will always update you if the needs of the casework change (i.e. become more or less expensive). If further work is required or requested, a new quote/Service Level Agreement will be generated and agreed before work begins. Add-on work is typically charged at a rate of £80 per hour, with additional consumables related to assessment tools typically costing between £10 and £20, depending on the specific nature of what has been requested.

Does the child have to be at school for you to see them?

No, not necessarily. I can see the child wherever it works best for them. If the issues are in school or are affecting their ability to access learning, I find it is usually helpful for me to come into school, even if they are not there, just so I can support recommendations and talk to key staff.

Do you do remote assessments?

Like most people over the past few years, I have had to get a lot better at this! So, yes, I can. That said, wherever possible I would always prefer to meet a young person and the adults around them in person.

Do you do remote consultations/meetings?

Yes. Over the past few years this has become increasingly common. I use Microsoft Teams and find that Teams calls work well in a number of situations. I am aware, however, that this isn’t always the case, and there can be an access issue for parents. The format of meetings will be discussed with you when negotiating the work.

Do you travel outside Greater Manchester?

Yes, sometimes. I would always decide this on a range of factors, including where your setting is and the size of the SLA (which would determine how often I would be travelling to you). The best thing to do is get in touch with me, and we’ll see what we can work out.

Get in touch

If you would like to get in touch about working with us, please fill in an enquiry form by clicking the button below